Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Blueberry Apricot Crisp


Blueberry season is in full swing! Just last week I made it out to a pick your own farm and walked away with nine pints of berries for a mere twelve bucks. I love blueberries in my morning yogurt or just noshing on them straight up, but the best part of fresh picked berries is making crisp.  I've made crisp with apples, strawberries, blackberries, and peaches, but blueberry crisp is where it's at!  I decided to switch things up a bit by throwing in some apricots (mostly because I had some in my fridge that needed to be used ASAP), and now I can officially say that blueberries and apricots are BFF's.

I have a go-to vegan crisp topping that I have used for years with much success, but wanted to switch it up and try it with butter instead of oil, because really, sometimes a little butter makes everything a little better.

The recipe for the topping is loosely adapted from a crisp recipe from this recipe from Nourish Your Roots.  It's bonkers good.  So good that my sister and my two little nieces ate the whole pan for breakfast within a half hour of coming out of the oven.  Yeah, we all burned our tongues on scalding hot blueberries, but it was oh so worth it.


...Homegirls are WEARING those blueberries!

Blueberry Apricot Crisp


1 pint blueberries
8 small apricots, pitted and chopped
2 T. white spelt flour
3 T. organic brown sugar


Crumble:
1/2 c. white spelt flour
1/2 c. organic brown sugar
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/4 t. salt
6 T. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place blueberries and apricots in a 9 by 9 inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with the flour and brown sugar.
To make the crumble, combine the white spelt flour, brown sugar, oats, salt and butter in a small bowl. Work the mixture with your hands for a couple minutes until crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the apricots and blueberries.
Bake 40-45 minutes until the blueberries are nice and bubbly.

Serve straight up or with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out girl...looks delicious and the kiddies are super cute, too!

    ReplyDelete