Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Edamame Hummus

Every so often I get a fierce craving for hummus.  Sure, I could shell out $5 for some sabra hummus (which, by the way is like creamy chicpea crack), but I'm usually way too lazy to go the store and it's waaaaay cheaper to make at home.  Traditionally, hummus is made with garbanzo beans, but as my luck would have it, there were none in the house.  Enter the edamame bean. 
Edamame, which translates to "twig bean" are young green soybeans cropped with it's twig (eda="twig" + mame=bean). They are high in protein and fiber, low in fat and make a killer hummus!


Edamame Hummus (makes 1 c.)

1 c. frozen shelled edamame
1 1/2 T. tahini
1 lemon, juiced
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
2 T. chopped parsley
1 T. chopped chives or scallions
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cracked black pepper
2 T. olive oil

Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil.  Add edamame, bring to a boil and cook for three minutes.  Drain and "shock" in a bowl of ice water (this helps the edamame retain it's bright color and cools them quickly).  Once your beans have cooled (this only takes a couple minutes), drain again and place in a food processor with the tahini, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper.  With the motor running stream in the olive oil.  Scrape down the sides and pulse a couple more times.  I like my hummus a little chunky.  If you like a creamier dip give it a whirl for another 15 seconds.  Add the parsley and chives and pulse a couple times to incorporate. 



This dip is super tasty with raw veggies, or can be used as a sandwich spread.  I took the lazy route and tore open a bag of multigrain pita chips.
Craving. Satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. You are spot-on about Sabra! Our Costco sells giant vats of it in packages of two flavors...we usually finish them within a few days. I'm definitely trying your edamame hummus after this week's grocery run-I can't wait. I have an idea for a blog topic. I think you should write about ingredient lists. In general, we health-conscious foodies follow the rule that "if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it." However, there are a number of plant-based natural ingredients that are used as thickeners, preservatives, etc. I'd like to see some information about what's considered okay to eat and what's not so healthy.

    ReplyDelete