Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Miso Edamame Dip


I cleaned out my freezer yesterday. I'm definitely not one of those people that could survive the apocalypse based on the contents of their pantry and frozen goods. First of all, I have very limited storage space in my kitchen and second of all, a cluttered fridge sends me into a panic attack.

To my surprise, I found a bag of edamame lodged in the back of my freezer hidden behind the vodka (I tend to keep the more important things where I can see them) and was in the mood for something quick. I really wanted to eat some baguette and was looking for something delicious to smear all over it instead of dipping it in copious amounts of olive oil. My first instinct was to make edamame hummus, but since I gave up all nuts and seeds due to an allergy, a tahini based dip was out.

I pulled out whatever I could find in my fridge that wouldn't make this dip taste like crap.

Edamame.
Miso.
Lemon.
Scallion.
Parsley.
Garlic.

Olive oil, salt and pepper.

Lots of yums.

FYI: Fresh herbs and garlic and lemon always make dips taste delicious.

Short version:
Throw everything (except the oil) in a food processor. Process until incorporated then stream in the oil to make it nice and creamy.



....and the extended version:

Miso Edamame Dip


1 c. shelled edamame
3 scallions, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. parsley, chopped
1/2 T. chickpea miso (or any other light miso)
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
2 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil


Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the edamame. Bring to a boil and cook for three minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water for five minutes. Drain well and transfer to a food processor. Add the scallion, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, miso, salt and pepper. Process until well incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed. With the processor running, stream in the olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Adjust seasonings, if needed.

Serve with some crusty baguette, pita chips or crudites. Party food!

No comments:

Post a Comment