Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Apple Crisp

Apples, apples, apples...

These days I'm borderline obsessed with the fruit. Apple cider, apple pancakes, hard cider, cider donuts, apple muffins, apple butter.. and now..

Apple Crisp!

I'm usually not a dessert person, but a recent trip to a local apple orchard left me with more apples than I knew what to do with.  I picked up some braeburns, which seemed like a good apple: hard, tart, and crisp, perfect for snacking or baking. 

They weren't all that.

Crunchy, yes. Flavorful, no.

So, I added some sugar, spice and everything nice, popped it in the oven and transfomed my ho-hum apples into a delicious sweet treat.

I'm one of those people that will justify eating apple crisp for breakfast. I mean it's got oats and apples and it's vegan.. It's pretty much like eating a bowl of heart healthy oatmeal.

Or so I tell myself.





Apple Crisp (serves 4-6) Slightly adapted from this recipe

4 lbs. apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. organic sugar
1/2 c. apple cider
1 T. arrowroot
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice
1/8 t. cloves

Topping:

1 c. oats
1/2 c. oat flour
1/2 c. spelt flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. organic sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. sunflower oil
3 T. rice milk
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sliced apples in a 9" by 9" pan. Mix together the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves, pour over the apples and mix well. In a small bowl, dissolve the arrowroot in the apple cider, then pour over the apples.
Now for the topping: Mix together the sugars, flours, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl combine the sunflower oil, rice milk, and vanilla. Stir the oil mixture to the flour/sugar mixture.  Crumble the topping evenly over the apples. Bake for 45 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Let cool fifteen minutes before serving.


P.S. share the apple peels with your dogs... they will love you hardcore.



No comments:

Post a Comment