Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shaved Asparagus Pizza




I should be feasting on summers bounty.. tomatoes, corn, zucchini, basil etc.. But, I still want asparagus.  In the past year I've really made an effort to eat seasonally. Not only does the food taste way better but it's alot cheaper too.  A skimpy bunch of basil in December will set you back $4, whereas a pimpin' bunch will cost a buck in August at the farmers market.  A tomato or a peach in January will taste like carboard and winter squash mid-summer is mealy and flavorless. 

Asparagus is a spring time food.  One of those foods that I fantasize about after eating hearty stews, squashes and root vegetables all winter long.  It's at it's peak in April and May but you usually see it kicking around supermarkets until August.  I'm pretty sure this was my last fling with asparagus until next spring, so I made it count.

Most people don't know that you can eat asparagus raw. 
You can.
It's delicious.

I like to shave it.



Grab asparagus at the bottom and peel it like you would a carrot.


Pretty ribbons!  Sometimes I'll add some lemon, olive oil and a nice shaved cheese and eat it as a light salad.
Pizza sounded better than salad.

I got to work on my dough.  I'm a big fan of thin crust pizza. This recipe: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-045499
has been my go-to for years.  The dough doesn't need to rise, so it's great on evenings when you want homemade pizza in under an hour.


Flour. Yeast. Salt. Water.
Go.

Perlini!  Aka mini mozzarella.

So... roll out your dough and brush with some olive oil.  You can use some roasted garlic oil if you want to get your crazy on.
Toss your asparagus with some olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
Scatter some cheese on the crust.  Pile on the asparagus. Top with more cheese.  Pop it in the oven and bake till cheese is melty and the crust is browned. 
I topped it with some grated pecorino romano, some roasted garlic and a drizzle of fancy extra virgin olive oil before serving to make it even MORE delicious.


My pee stunk. But, it was well worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment