Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Sesame Almond Nori Crunchies


I've never been much of a snack person.

I'm one of those three meals a day people. I eat when I'm hungry and that usually only occurs around my designated meal times.
When I do my shopping for the week, I'm great at planning what I'll have for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I always forget to throw some snack foods in my cart for those occasions when I find my blood sugar plummeting at 4 o'clock because I didn't have a substantial lunch.

Truth is, most foods targeted as "snacks" are prepackaged foods with a long list of ingredients, many of which are unrecognizable.
Most times I'll just reach for a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts, but sometimes I wasn't something a bit more fun.. something that's a little more.... snackable.
My cupboards are almost always stocked with a variety of nuts and seeds (walnuts, pistachios, sunflower, pumpkin, flax, hemp, sesame etc..) to throw in baked goods, make milk, toss into granola, or add to a salad.  Not only are nuts and seeds super versatile, they're also packed with healthy fats, protein, and are nutrient dense.

I was checking out some of my favorite blogs this past weekend and stumbled upon a new site called "She Cooks Macro"; most of the recipes focusing on macrobiotic cuisine. Macrobiotics is a dietary regimen that focuses on using whole, simple, unprocessed foods to achieve balance within the body to promote healing. The diet emphasizes whole grains, seaweeds, legumes, fruits, vegetables, some nuts and seeds and fermented soy products like miso, tempeh and tamari.
One of the recipes that caught my eye was this sesame almond nori brittle. This was primarily based on the fact that I had everything on hand to make it, but it was also chocked full of healthy stuff and looked highly snackable.  The fact that it took 15 minutes to throw together didn't hurt either.

Sesame Almond Nori Crunchies
From She Cooks Macro

2 T. safflower oil
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. brown rice syrup
1 c. sesame seeds
1 c. almonds
1 t. tamari
6 sheets nori, torn into small pieces.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine the oil, maple syrup and brown rice syrup in a large sautee pan and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the almond, sesame seeds and tamari. Add the nori and mix well to combine. Spread on a sheetpan lined with parchment paper and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely, then break into pieces.
Store in an airtight container.





No comments:

Post a Comment