Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Ginger-Plum Fruit Kvass


Kvass is probably a foreign term to you unless you are a fermentation nerd, work in a health food store or live in Russia. 
Traditionally, kvass is a fermented beverage made with beets, rye bread and whey. As much as I love beets and rye bread (especially when toasted and slathered with butter) the thought of drinking this particular beverage kind of made me dry heave a bit.

I'm a huge fan of fermented beverages, be it kombucha, rejuvelac or...you know beer and wine, so when I came across a whey, grain and beet free version of kvass I had to give it a try. 
Adding fermented food and beverages to your diet is a great way to restore the proper balance of bacteria in the gut, which can be thrown off track with a poor diet and certain medications, like antibiotics.

This here fruit kvass is made with some overly ripe sugar plums that were gifted to me and needed to be used ASAP, but you can make kvass with whatever fruit you're currently loving at the moment.  I try to eat seasonally, so I hope to whip up a batch with the last of the peaches and blueberries. I would imagine an apple or pear version would be particularly tasty in the fall.

Many of you out there may be intimidated making your own fermented foods and beverages. I was definitely weary when I first started making my own kombucha and sauerkraut, but fear not, this is probably the easiest and quickest ferment that you will make. 





Ginger-Plum Fruit Kvass
Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories

1/4 large mason jar (I used a 32 oz. jar), organic pitted plums, halved
1 T. raw honey (make sure it's raw!)
1 inch piece, peeled ginger, sliced
filtered or mineral water (enough to almost fill the jar)

Place the plums, ginger and honey in a mason jar.  Add water to fill the jar, leaving an inch of space at the top to allow for pressure to build. Tightly close the jar and leave on the counter for 2-3 days shaking a couple times a day to prevent bacteria from forming on the surface. After 24 hours you should start to see little bubbles form on the surface. Give it a taste after 48 hours; it should be tangy and sweet and the fruit should look "cooked".  When you're happy with the flavor (mine tasted a little like a floral apple juice), strain out the fruit and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment