Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Whole Wheat Bacon Fat Dog Biscuits


I first started this blog with the intention of having it be strictly vegetarian.  Although I ate fish and turkey on occasion, the world of pork and beef was unbeknownst to me.  Not a bite had passed my lips in over fifteen years and I never thought I would be eating, let alone cooking meat anytime in the near future.

About six months ago I was dining in Manhattan and decided then and there that I was going to eat pork.  I don't know why all of a sudden, at that moment the idea sounded so appealing, but I decided to go with it and I would either love it or hate it.  I didn't go all out and order a steak or ribs or a porkchop but instead eased into it slowly with a wood fired pizza topped with broccoli rabe, fresh mozzarella and spicy sausage.

...It was hands down, one of the top ten meals I've ever had.

Over the past six months, I've s-l-o-w-l-y incorporated meat into my diet. I would go out for an occasional grassfed burger or buy a package of local sausage links or some maple smoked bacon. I've made some dang tasty grub featuring these foods but for some reason didn't feel comfortable blogging about it since 95% of my blog is vegetarian (I've featured fish in a couple posts) and I didn't know if I would lose an audience of vegetarian readers if I decided to start blogging about meat.

...and then I got over it....

The tagline of my blog is, "tasty whole foods cuisine" and I think meat (if raised in slaughtered in a sustainable way) fits the bill... in moderation. So, from here on out, some of my posts may feature fish, chicken, beef or pork... or seaweed, kale, pomegranates or sweet potatoes. I can guarantee that whatever I choose to post gets my stamp of approval and tastes delicious.

Although I can't vouch for the following recipe since I didn't actually TRY them myself, my dogs absolutely love the bacon fat dog biscuits that I made for them.  I always have leftover grease from cooking bacon, and never felt the desire to do anything with it myself, so I decided to make my little pooches a tasty little treat that was free from all of the crap that is usually found in any of the ones you would buy at the petstore.

Although they may not be as healthy as carrot sticks and kale stems, these little biscuits are something that you can feel good about giving your furry friends.

Whole Wheat Bacon Fat Dog Biscuits
From The Kitchn

1/2 c. melted bacon fat
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. wheat germ
1 egg
1/2 c. cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until a dough is formed. Tear off a sheet of parchment paper and lay on a flat surface. Sprinkle with flour and roll out the dough to 1/4" thickness. Transfer to a large baking sheet and score with a pizza cutter or butter knife into desired shapes/size. Poke small holes (I think this is more for decoration) with the end of a chopstick.  Bake for 20 minutes, break apart and flip the biscuits over.  Return the biscuits to the oven and turn off the heat.  Let sit for 20-30 minutes to allow them to crisp up a bit.  Store in an airtight container.




No comments:

Post a Comment