Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

THE Raw Brownie


You know when you have a recipe for something, be it chocolate chip cookies or lasagna or apple pie and you are convinced more than anything in the world that yours is the best?

Don't lie, because I know you do.  I have several recipes that I make time and time again never even botherning to try something new because, well...mine is the best. How could this other recipe possibly compare to the awesomeness that I've been making over and over again with great results every time? I mean... why mess with a good thing?

I was sure that I had found the perfect raw brownie recipe. It was super easy to throw together and I usually had all of the ingredients necessary to whip them up last minute to satisfy my occasional chocolate fits.  When planning the dessert for my raw food cooking class I was convinced that these would be a hit and didn't even think twice about searching for another recipe. 

 My cooking class partner suggested we try her raw brownie recipe.  Like myself, she was pretty set that hers were the best. I don't know if it was the stress of planning everything else for class or the fact that I was trying to be less of a controlling asshole, but I decided to push my brownies to the backburner and go with her recipe instead.  I mean... I really SHOULD try new things anyway.

Everyone in our class loved the brownies, but I was on such an adrenaline rush that I really didn't have much of an appetite for dessert so I saved a couple to eat for breakfast the next day (because raw cacao is a totally acceptable breakfast option).

I think I cried a little bit after my first bite, they were THAT GOOD.

Sooooooo... I think it's safe to say that I have a NEW favorite brownie recipe!  Not that my other one wasn't amazing... but this one is like, HOLYCRAPBALLSAMAZING!

On the upside this recipe is just as easy as my old standby, but unfortunately they are a little more expensive to make.  Unlike regular brownies that I would have no problem eating half a pan in one sitting, these are pretty dense so I couldn't really imagine eating more that one... or two.

Make these brownies.  They'll be your new favorite and you can impress all of your friends when you tell them they are raw!

THE Raw Brownie

2 c. whole walnuts
2 ½ c. medjool dates, pitted
1 c. raw cacao powder
1 c. raw, unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
¼ t. sea salt

Place walnuts in a food processor and pulse until they resemble fine crumbs. Add the cacao and sea salt and pulse to combine.
Add the dates one at a time through the feed tube of the food processor while it is running. You should end up with a mix that appears like cake crumbs, but when pressed should easily stick together. (If the mixture doesn’t hold together well, add more dates)
Transfer mixture to a large bowl and combine with the chopped almonds.  Press into an 8” by 8” cake pan lined with parchment paper. Place in freezer or fridge until ready to serve (it is also easier to cut these when they are very cold). Store in an airtight container.







No comments:

Post a Comment