Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

The Best Egg Salad.. EVER.


The quality of your eggs is directly propotional to the taste of your egg salad.

It's easy math really.  Get some mass produced supermarket eggs with pale yolks and the final result ain't gonna be all that.  No amount of mayonnaise or herbs or whatever you like to add to your egg salad is going to help.

Now... get yourself some local, free range, preferably organic eggs. The kind where the name of the farm is printed on the box. The kind where the eggs vary in size and color and the yolks are so vibrantly yellow they appear to glow.



I haven't always loved egg salad. Especially the kind sold in deli's gooped up with mayo sitting in a glass case under some limp kale for god knows HOW long.  I avoided it like the plague. It just looked so unappealing to me. 

Then one day I decided to make my own. 

What the hell took me so long?

I've made several variations and this is my favorite.  Local eggs, a little bit of mayo, fresh herbs, shallots and just a touch of dijon mustard.  Sandwiched between some good bread or eaten straight out the bowl this stuff is delicious. 

Make it once and you'll never go back to store bought again..

Egg Salad
6 large hard boiled eggs, peeled (local, free range and/or organic)
2 T. fresh chopped dill
2 T. fresh chopped parsley
1 T. chives
2 T. diced shallot
3-4 T. mayonnaise
1/2 T. dijon mustard
sea salt and black pepper, to taste


Never hardboiled eggs before?


Here's my go to method:
Place the eggs in a medium sized saucepan (so they all fit comfortably) and cover with cold water. I usually add a tablespoon of vinegar, which is supposed to make the eggs easier to peel. Some people do this and others don't.  It seems to work pretty well for me so I go with it.  Bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, remove from the heat, cover and let sit 16 minutes. Immediately transfer eggs to an ice water bath and let them hang out for 10 minutes or so.  Voila! You got hard boiled eggs.

Rough chop your eggs. I like the salad a little on the chunky side, if you like yours a little more uniform, you could chop the eggs finer. Place in a bowl and gently fold in the remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.






No comments:

Post a Comment