Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Greens and Beans



Well... It's safe to say I'm officially sick.
It all started with a sore throat.
I pumped my body full of echinacea, vitamin C, zinc, goldenseal and some crazy mushroom extract. I drank fresh vegetable juice and sipped on tea.. and drank my weight in water.
I peed alot.

Apparently my immune system is on vacation because I now feel like I've been hit by a truck..  Runny nose, chest congestion, sinus pain and all that other nonsense that comes with having a cold.

When I'm sick I crave hot ginger tea with honey, carbonated water with lemon, epsom salt baths, blankets, and simple comfort food.

Greens and beans is my go to meal when I'm feeling sick or in need of a nutritional boost.

It's got all the good stuff: kale, onions, garlic (LOTS of garlic), cannelini beans, crushed red pepper, and a rich vegetable broth. Although I try to avoid dairy when I have a cold, a nice dusting of grated pecorino makes it all the better!








Greens and Beans (serves two)

2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large bunch of kale, stem removed, rough chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T. finely chopped garlic
1 15 oz. can cannelini beans (about 2 cups), rinsed
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
4 c. vegetable broth
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated pecorino romano (optional, but delicious)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook 3-4 minutes until onion becomes translucent.  Add the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and beans and cook for two more minutes, stirring constantly.  Stir in the kale and broth, cover and cook until kale is tender, about five minutes.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Serve piping hot with a dusting of pecorino romano and a drizzle of olive oil to seal the deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment